The Foundation is responsible for Personal Information in its possession or custody, including information that has been transferred to a third party for processing. The Foundation shall use contractual or other means to ensure that such third parties protect your Personal Information to the same level as the Foundation protects your Personal Information.
The Foundation shall implement policies and practices to give effect to these principles, including:
- implementing procedures to protect Personal Information;
- training staff and communicating to staff information about our policies and practices.
Collection of Personal Information
We collect your Personal Information when you voluntarily provide it to us by through our website or programs. For example, we may collect your Personal Information if you:
- Send us a question or comment by email;
- Make a donation to the Foundation;
- Subscribe to our newsletter;
- Send us your resumé and/or a job or volunteer application;
- Provide us with Personal Information in connection with a Program; or
- Otherwise provide Personal Information through features of our website that ask for Personal Information.
Personal Information that the Foundation collects includes, but is not limited to:
- Contact Information: such as your name, position title, employer name, address, telephone number, fax number, or e-mail address;
- Donation Information: including program donated to; payment information and dedication information;
- Application Information: such as information contained on your resume; and education and employment history; and
- Program-related Personal Information: you may disclose Personal Information when you participate in our Programs (for instance information about your approach to literacy).
Use of Personal Information
The Foundation will only use Personal Information for the purposes for which it was collected. We use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- communicating with individuals about programming opportunities, news, donation opportunities, services, and information offered by the Foundation and its related partners;
- to contact users in connection with the Foundation’s Programs; events, potential or existing donations, news, and other activities;
- process payments for donations;
- communicate with individuals about a job or volunteer opportunity;
- administer our Programs;
- to provide users with additional information about events and services in which they might be interested;
- to enforce our contracts and legal agreements or comply with applicable laws; and
- any other reasonable purpose for which an individual may have provided express consent or implied consent may be reasonably implied.
We respect your privacy and, unless otherwise required by law, we will not collect, use, or disclose your Personal Information without your prior consent. Providing us with your Personal Information is always your choice. You may expressly give your consent in writing, verbally or through any electronic means.
In certain circumstances, your consent may be implied by your actions. For example, subscribing to our e-newsletter is implied consent to provide you with that service.
Consent and Minors
The Foundation will only knowingly collect Personal Information from minors (defined as children less than 18 years old) with the express consent of their parents or guardians at the time of collection. By providing your express consent on behalf of your child, you warrant that you have the right and authority to grant such consent.
Disclosure and Transfer of Personal Information
The Foundation may share Personal Information with our service providers that help us with our business operations or to support the Foundation, including:
- to facilitate donations from donors;
- third party technology providers to host our website and store our data (including Personal Information); and
- our suppliers responsible for administering marketing and donor activities on our behalf.
Only the Foundation’s or our service provider’s employees or contractors with a business need to know, or whose duties reasonably so require, are granted access to Personal Information that we are accountable for. All such employees will be required as a condition of employment to contractually respect the confidentiality of your Personal Information.
From time to time we may disclose your Personal Information with third parties under the following limited circumstances:
- when necessary to protect our safety, property or other rights, our affiliates, donors and users of the Site, including to detect and prevent fraud;
- with your consent; or
- when otherwise required or permitted by law.
We will disclose Personal Information without your knowledge or consent if we receive an order, subpoena, warrant or other legal requirement issued by a court, tribunal, regulator, or other person with jurisdiction to compel disclosure of your Personal Information.
We comply with Canada’s anti-spam legislation (generally called “CASL”), and we will not send you electronic communications in contravention of this law.
We will ensure that each email includes an opt-out feature and instructions on how to unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive future emails from us. You can unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive future emails from us. You can unsubscribe using the link included in the email or by using the contact information set forth below in the Questions section. If you do not expressly consent to receiving commercial electronic communications, we will only communicate with you for the limited purposes permitted under CASL.
Personal Information: Access and Correction
If users wish to access their Personal Information, or request that their Personal Information be removed from the Foundation’s database or website, they may contact the Foundation through the e-mail or mail address listed at the end of this document. The Foundation will provide access to this information, correct any factual inaccuracies identified, and remove information as requested. Removal of a user’s Personal Information may prevent us from providing further services and information to the user.
The Foundation will maintain procedures for addressing and responding to all inquiries or complaints from individuals about our handling of Personal Information. The Foundation shall investigate all complaints. The Privacy Officer will respond to all such inquiries or complaints within 14 business days of receipt. The Privacy Officer will make reasonable efforts to resolve all such complaints within 30 days of receipt of the initial complaint. If the Foundation finds a complaint to be justified, it will take appropriate measures, including, if necessary, amending its policies and procedures.
For more information about contacting our Privacy Officer, please see the Questions section below.
Non-Identifiable and Aggregated Information
Non-Identifiable and aggregated information is data and information that is aggregated or anonymized in such a manner that it cannot be connected to an individual (referred to as “non-personal information”). From time to time, the Foundation may use and disclose such non-personal information to third parties, but such use and disclosure will not involve any Personal Information about identifiable individuals.
The Foundation also collects non-personal information through this website. Examples of types of non-personal information that may be collected include anonymous survey responses, as well as IP addresses, cookies, Internet tags and navigational data (described in more detail below).
An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a number automatically assigned to users’ computers when they access the Internet. This number does not identify the user’s name, e-mail address or other Personal Information. This information may be used to measure site traffic, to help to understand how people are using this website and to improve the site and services provided.
“Cookies” are small text files that recognize repeat visitors, facilitate ongoing access to some sites, and allow sites to understand how and when pages are visited and by how many people. Users who are concerned about the use of cookie technology may opt to enable a feature in their browser software that will erase cookies, block all cookies, or warn the user before cookies are stored or exchanged. However, some parts of this website may no longer function properly if cookies are disabled.
Internet tags (also known as single-pixel GIFs, clear GIFs, invisible GIFs, and 1-by-1 GIFs) are smaller than cookies and tell the website server information such as the IP address and browser type related to a user’s computer. Tags may indicate how many times a page is opened, and which information is consulted.
Navigational data (including log files, server logs and clickstream data) are used for system management, to improve the content of the site, for market research purposes and to communicate information to visitors. This may include the website you came from, your browser type, domain name and time and date of access.
Links to Other Sites
The Foundation will protect Personal Information using security safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity level of the Personal Information received. We maintain technical, physical and administrative security safeguards to protect your Personal Information against loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access.
The Foundation’s methods of protection include:
- maintaining your Personal Information in secure data storage to safeguard it from unauthorized access, use or disclosure (any Personal Information you provide to us is exchanged on a secure server);
- measures to ensure the ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability and resilience of our systems and services; and
- employees are made aware of security threats and practices at time of onboarding and on an ongoing basis through security awareness training.;
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we are committed to protecting your Personal Information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us.
Should you have any questions about this policy or the Foundation’s data collection and use practices, please email the Foundation at email@example.com.